Shakarqandi Gosht (Slow cooked beef with sweet potatoes)
This is a slow-cooker curry which requires a little pre-cooking then, assuming your slow-cooker's timer works, you can leave it cooking for most of the day while you're out, with just the sweet potatoes to add before the end.
It makes it ideal for a filling mid-week curry night, and it's especially warming on autumn and winter nights. Serve with lots of rice, roti, naan, (or all three if you like!)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 500g lean shin of beef, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp onion seeds
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped/grated root ginger
- 400g canned, chopped and sieved tomatoes (or passata)
- 2 green chillis, finely chopped with seeds removed
- 4 green cardamoms, bruised to split
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 200ml beef stock
- 300g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- Heat 3 tbsp cooking oil in a large pan.
- Fry 500g lean shin of beef, cut into 3cm cubes for about 3 minutes to seal; remove the meat and place in a slow-cooker.
- Re-heat the oil that remains in the pan.
- Add 2 tsp mustard seeds and 2 tsp onion seeds and fry until the seeds start to pop.
- Add 2 medium onions, peeled and diced and fry to soften for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp crushed garlic and 1 tbsp chopped/grated root ginger and continue to fry for a further minute.
- Add 400g canned, chopped and sieved tomatoes (or passata), 2 green chillis, finely chopped with seeds removed, 4 green cardamoms, bruised to split, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1½ tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground turmeric and 1 tsp garam masala and continue to cook, mixing well, until the liquid has reduced by about a half.
- Pour the onions, spices and tomato mix over the beef in the slow-cooker; add 200ml beef stock, put on the lid and cook on low for 7 hours.
- After 7 hours, remove the lid, add 300g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes, replace the lid and cook for a further 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir and serve.